Giving kids the chance to
dream more — and live more.
The St. Louis Byte Works Earn-a-Computer program aims to teach kids that they can set goals — and reach them. We believe that everyone deserves the chance to dream, and to follow those dreams, by challenging themselves, testing their abilities and reaching for more.
During this free six-week program, kids attend a series of hands-on courses. The courses are designed for 4th-8th grade students.
The following subjects are covered:
- Introduction to Computers
- Internet and Safety on the Internet
- Word Processing with OpenOffice Writer
- Creating Presentations with OpenOffice Impress
- Computer programming using MIT’s Scratch software
- Assembling the Computer and Connecting to the Internet
In order to complete the course and earn their free computer, kids must attend every class. Upon graduation they will receive:
- Computer, monitor and peripherals (keyboard, mouse)
- Audio speakers
- 4 GB flash drive
Of course, the technical training is just part of the St. Louis Byte Works experience. Along the way, children in the program learn to solve problems, both individually and as a group. They also learn the value of responsibility, making it to class every week and completing their work — all in pursuit of a shared goal.
If you would like to register your child for the St. Louis Byte Works Earn-a-Computer program, click here to go to our OnLine Student Registration form.
Please note that the Earn-a-Computer program is very popular, and there may be a waiting list.